Oncology is a specific domain of medicine that specializes in the identification and treatment of cancer – the dreaded, lethal disease in which some of the body’s cells multiply wildly and spread to other areas of the body.
Cancer: Major Symptoms
- Tiredness or excessive fatigue that doesn’t improve with rest.
- Loss or gain of 10 pounds or more without any valid explanation or reason.
- Swelling or lumps at someplace in the body.
- Losing hunger, difficulty in swallowing, acute belly pain, or vomiting and nausea.
A computerized tomography (CT) scan, bone scan, positron emission tomography (PET) scan, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound and X-ray, etc., are some of the tests used for Imaging to diagnose cancer.
PET CT Packages
The PET CT scan is a helpful method of examining the chemical activity in some specific body parts. It may also show changes in your body sooner. Doctors use PET-CT scans to provide more information about cancer. While PET CT Scan charges begin at close-to thousands. You may have to pay even more for some special PET Scan studies, such as PSMA PET scans.
The treatment is geared toward helping patients get relief so that they can live healthy, normal life. In many cases, it may not be possible. Still, if the chances of full recovery are nil or less, the treatments may be used, to either minimize cancer or check its growth, so that the patient can live without any symptoms for the longest possible time.
In the majority of the cases, Oncology treatment experts will advise just one treatment. However, in some cases, they will prescribe a combination of treatments, such as surgery with either chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy. They may also advise immunotherapy, targeted therapy—or, for that matter–hormone therapy. In some cases, a patient suffering from cancer may also be advised to undergo clinical trials.
Oncology Treatment: Key Options
Among the many treatment options to be had today, these 4 are the most important and popular ones:
- Surgery. Surgical oncology is a domain of medicine where surgery is performed to treat the disease. Doctors, who practice surgical oncology, may also discover if you have cancer, or find out if the disease has become severe and spread to other regions of the body, and get rid of them, or as much of cancer as possible.
- Chemotherapy. It’s an effective drug treatment that uses powerful chemicals to kill the fast-multiplying cells in your body. It is one of the most commonly and popularly used cancer treatments, since cancer cells grow and multiply much more speedily, vis-à-vis nearly all cells in the body.
- Radiation therapy. The specific therapy employs high-powered energy beams, such as X-rays or protons, to kill cancer cells. It may wipe out tumors and/or prevent them from coming back. Doctors may advise the patient to take the therapy either by itself as the only treatment or in together with surgery, chemotherapy, or both.
- Hormone therapy: Also known as hormonal therapy, hormone treatment, or endocrine therapy, Hormone therapy is a kind of cancer treatment that either retards or completely stops the growth of cancer that makes use of hormones to grow, like, for instance, some prostate and breast cancers.
For any kind of assistance, or more information on the Oncology Treatment options available these days, get in touch with MedSupport India. We will be happy to help and guide you in all possible ways. We invest a substantial amount of time and effort in working together with the finest in the industry, including top health centers, distinguished doctors, hotels, and travel bureaus.